Monday 11 April 2016

Double trouble ...

Well, since I am building double walled tunnel I will refer to it as double trouble, as it requires a bit more of thinking how to make sure that design will perform as intended.  Based on my research, if 3" space will persist between two layers of plastic, the result might be reduction of heat transfer up to 35%, and this would keep temperature inside higher during low temp. times.  My external tunnel design was pretty similar to the one done before (except for its heights), but for internal I had to thinker how to ensure that it is air tight.  So, I did not include in my calculation initially enough of fastening channel and had to order more to be able to finish internal tunnel.  Well, it was my choice to use this product, as I could finished this using wood.
Hope to have this complete by the next weekend, including placing cover on the skeleton.

Update on my "old" tunnel. I have seeded spinach and lettuce  on Mar. 26 and is all germinating nicely, even yesterday lot temp of -5 deg did not do much harm.  Have some autumn spinach showing up as well, but rather scantly.  Planter bunch of onion bulbs inside the tunnel and on one of the containers  outside.  We have planted garlic cloves last fall and this weekend they all started showing up so it was welcoming sign of spring.  Today my weather station recorded -7deg in the morning, so typical for April.  I know I am bit impatient and want to start full garden season, especially when weather hits 25 deg (Friday).  patience and perseverance, that is the way to win in this game of gardening at high elevation and unpredictable  weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment