Wednesday 6 April 2016

Season Extenders

I live just outside Calgary city limits on the western foothills and have learned that my season is about ten days shorter than average Calgary location, primarily due to higher elevation (1180m) and opens space (acreage).  I love growing my own veggies so I decided to invest into season extenders.  Last spring i decided to build hoop tunnel (hoop hot house) by utilizing gray pvc electric conduit pipes (3/4") above my container box garden bed. (see below)


I covered it with woven poly 11 mil that is super strong and suitable for harsh conditions such as wind, snow, UV and hail.  Since I wanted to do it on a cheap, I decided to use standard length of 10' pipe ans as such my tunnel is about 5" tall.  This resulted in a bit of challenge as my kids are now growing and no longer fit standing up  (lol) and I must do some of the chores inside.  
It was struggle to keep it warm during early and late spring but results were great, bumper crop of tomatoes and lots of lettuce (variety) early in the season.






After gaining some experience and complains from work crew, made decision to build second hoop tunnel this spring, one that would provide access for fully grown person.  
Started the process and decided to build double walled (poly)  tunnel that would provide extra heat retention (limit heat loss).  For internal wall using standard cheap 3.5 mil poly, for exteranl same 11 mil woven poly.

This is still  work in progress, as I am finishing construction and need to build doors (double walled).  Season is warm and hope to start seeding in this one pretty soon.

I did already seed lettuce  (March 23) and spinach in the old (low) tunnel and seeds are already sprouting, have bunch of plastic jugs from milk filled with water to act as heat accumulators.  We have been blessed with very mild weather this year so my guess is that might go without adding heat source.
Will post pictures of final high tunnel once it will get completed.




No comments:

Post a Comment